Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

My husband blew his nose and burst a blood vessel in his eye.

My husband blew his nose and burst a blood vessel in his eye. Half his eye is blood red. He is diabetic, on medication, not insulin, but numbers vary from 90 to 400. He is also on coumadin, for life, has had several DVT's in his legs. Is this a problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is appears he has subconjunctival hemorrhage (bleed into the conjunctiva tissue). This is not harmful and would resolve with time, but faster with use of over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop every 4 hours for 1-2 days while awake, then 4 times daily. Since he is on coumadin, I suggest that he follow-up with he doctor to re-evaluate the level of bleeding time, PT, PTT and INR to monitor the coagulation. Avoid blowing of nose. Avoid the use of Aspirin, Aleve, Advil/Motrin/Ibuprofen which can worsen bleeding. In addition, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for complete examination to exclude any bleeding inside the eye. The blood shot will slowly resolve over 3-4 weeks. The color may change with time - do not be concerned as it is expected as the blood reabsorbs into the body.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.