Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have one fixed and dilated pupil with blurry vision. The

I have one fixed and dilated pupil with blurry vision. The other pupil is normal.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Have you noticed this fixed dilated pupil with blurred vision suddenly or in very recent time say a day ?

Have you observed any visual field defect?( any part of the vision which is typically obscured eg when you look at the clock do you find any missing hours?

Any defect in identifying colors with this eye ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The onset was sudden. I used some Bausch &Lomb Opcon A drops around an hour ago (no uneven pupils). I went outside to do some yardwork, my vision became burry and I check the mirror to see if I had got something in my eye when I noticed the freakishly dilated pupil.

I check a little while ago, and I saw that it is not fixed. The iris does expand and contract a little with light.

Thank for replying.

If the pupils are of unequal size ( called anisocoria) , one pupil appearing more dilated than the other , of recent onset , should raise the suspicion of a problem in the visual pathway ( along the optic nerve ) . Such a optic nerve lesion ( usually an inflammation in the optic nerve called optic neuritis ) presents with sudden onset of reduced vision , dilated pupil with ill-sustained pupil reflex ( not necessarily fixed and maybe RAPD) , visual field defects along with impaired color vision.

If your vision is blurry but pupil is now not dilated and reacting to light , then there may not be any optic nerve problem , no glaucoma ( associated with dilated pupil with severe eye pain , nausea , blurred vision ).

I suggest you have a look at the pupils again and if you still find that there is difference in the size and reaction of the two pupils , then it is better to get your eyes examined at the earliest to look at the back of the eye ( by fundus exam ) by an ophthalmologist .

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist