Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

While gardening late yesterday I was stabbed in the eye by

While gardening late yesterday I was stabbed in the eye by the tip of a yucca plant. It hurt a lot at first but the pain has lessened considerably and there is no mark of entry.

I washed it out immediately and tried to set up an appointment for today with an opthamologist. However, it is the July 4 weekend and no one is in.

Is there anything I should be doing? Eye wash?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It is good that you have washed the eye immediately as it removes any associated dirt with it. It is possible that the tip of the plant could have abraded the conjunctiva ( white of the eye) and that is why there is not much pain / redness / watering or photophobia in the eye. Since a plant tip can carry bacteria or fungus in the eye , it is always better to start prophylactic antibiotic eye drops . Till you get to meet an ophthalmologist, you can start lubricating eye drops like Refresh tears eye drops 1 drop 4 times a day as it will help soothen the eye and small abrasions of the eye heal with just lubricating eye drops and patching for 1 day only.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Edited by Dr. A.S. Desai on 7/3/2010 at 3:28 PM EST