Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

What is the treatment for haemorrhage in the eye?

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Sorry , your request came when I was in the middle of typing the question asked before. Please find below the answer-

If you are referring to a hemorrhage in the vitreous ( middle of the eye) , then it is due to formation of new blood vessels in the retina and on the surface of the optic nerve. Common causes for retinal neovascularisation are diabetes ( diabetic retinopathy) , central retinal vein occlusion , radiation therapy to the eye, sickle cell disease. These new vessels may rupture and cause a bleed into the thick gel in the middle of the eye called vitreous. A vitreous hemorrhage causes sudden reduction in vision and it resolves on its own by 6 weeks to 6 months.Vision improves gradually as the hemorrhage resolves.

The other conditions where new vessels appear in the choroid ( inner layer of the eye), called choroidal neovascularisation and is most often seen in age related macular degeneration ( ARMD). The treatment consists of an intravitreal injection of Avastin ( which regresses new vessels). Visual recovery has been found to be substantial with this injection.Repeat doses may be needed depending on the response.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist