Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

What is it when your pupil will not dilate

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

The inability of pupil to dilate with eye drops can be caused by conditions including normal poor variation in the ability of pupil to dilate, old injury to the iris causing poor response to dilating drop; horner's syndrome due to damage to sympathetic nerves at any one of multiple locations from the the neck, back of the eye and/or head, or Adie tonic pupil (due injury to the postganglionic parasympathetic innervation to the pupil). To determine the cause to enable proper treatment I suggest that your eye doctor closely evaluate the above conditions, with tests including Pilocarpine Adie pupil testing.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.