Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

eyes..my right eye..my vision..eye lubricated with dry eye drop

l have a history of allergies,mainly since l've been older l am bothered more by my eyes. recently l rubbed my right eye too much or too hard and now my vision in that eye is somewhat cloudy and not as crystal clear. l went to e.r and was told they could not see any damage and to keep the eye lubricated with dry eye drop and my vision should heal. what do you suggest ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Do you wear contact lenses or glasses?

Does your right eye hurt ? Any redness or watering from right eye?

Since how many days are you putting lubricating eye drops ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. l have worned contacts for fashion,not medical. and l have glasses for reading small print. 2. there is no pain at all,no redness and very little tearing,but it some times feel dry or if l have something in my eye,in which l put natural tears drops in and it subsides. 3. now its been since 24 June. my vision has improved some. when it first happen all l could see was like a mass of like something was blocking my sight. l see imagines now but now crystal clear.

I'm extremely sorry for these additional questions but these will help me answer better-

1) As the age is not mentioned, could you please let me know your age?

2) Have you experienced floaters before ?

3) Was the back of the eye seen at the ER( retina exam- pupils are dilated for this test)?

4) Any history of diabetes or hypertension?

Edited by Dr. A.S. Desai on 7/3/2010 at 11:08 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1.l will be 60yrs 8 jul 2. no, what is a floater 3. yes they did and checked me for glacoma and l remember him saying that test was a 12 then he did it again and it was 13,he said that was good.

Thank for the reply and the additional information.

Considering the fact that you had reduced vision in your right eye only , with no positive history of pain/ redness/ watering ( rules out corneal problem) , normal retina , no glaucoma ( as intraocular pressures were found to be normal ) , It is likely to be posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ) in which the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached from its surrounding. Some people experience flashes of light or floaters ( small spots floating in the visual field) , though it is not mandatory. When the floater ( due to the clumped vitreous ) is much large it may obscure vision and its movement may not be appreciated. This generally is harmless and does not require any treatment as invariably people get used to their presence and learn to ignore them once it is learnt that the condition is not serious. Over a period of time it may be possible for the floater to drift away from the visual field and the vision tends to improve in such a situation.

You can continue with the lubricating eye drops for soothening effect and relief from dry eyes and wait for a gradual improvement in the vision ( keeping the possibility of PVD in mind). You can consult an ophthalmologist if you ever develop acute symptoms in that eye like a sudden worsening of vision as a PVD may cause a retinal tear/detachment rarely. As your retina was normal at the previous check up , it ensures that there is no retinal tear as of now.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. so, are you saying that the mass/floater with time usually passes in time,and the vision should return to where it originally was prior or with will it be a bit compremised by this condition. 2. l long does it usually take or how long should l give myself before becomming more concern then l am? 3. will surgery be a future option or could this be permanent condition.

/

If the floater shifts aside , then the vision will be what it was earlier. But no one can assure that a floater will move, chances are more that you may ignore it . Surgery is usually not the preferred method of treatment as vitrectomy ( surgical removal of vitreous ) itself can have its own list of complications . You can wait for a couple of months before you get an eye exam done by an ophthalmologist.

Thank you and best wishes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What was that condition you said l should be aware of so that l can write it down or could you sent me a email if it is easier to: XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX Otherwise Thank You for time. Your answer somewhat makes me understand why the doctor did not seem too concerned and that bothered me. please provide me with the info l reguested. Thanks Again respectfully XXXXX XXXXX
The condition is likely to be posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ). You need to be concerned if there is a sudden reduction in vision or sudden curtain like fall in the line of vision as it is a symptom of a retinal detachment(RD) which needs urgent attention and treatment ( though RD is very rare in occurance considering the number of persons suffering from PVD which is very common).

Direct contact with the customer is not allowed at this site.

I'm glad to have answered your question to your satisfaction.

Please remember to press the green accept button so that I get credit for my work. Have a good day Smile

Edited by Dr. A.S. Desai on 7/3/2010 at 12:15 PM EST
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince