Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Is there a shortage of Ophthalmologists, as there seems to

Customer Question

Is there a shortage of Ophthalmologists, as there seems to be a shortage of other types of specialties?
If so, I need data to show this over the last 30 years, how many Ophthalmologists were there, then how many now?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
There is not a significant shortage of ophthalmologists currently. However, when taking into account the baby boomer population as well as the number of patients that will become insured over the next several years from the health care reform legislation that just passed, many experts predict a shortage in the next decade.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any of this data to prove that there will be a shortage? I do have some info on the amount of boomers, etc. But, what about that in relation to the ophthalmologists?

I do not have any hard and fast data. This article does a pretty good job at summarizing, but I have not seen any solid data about it.

http://www.osnsupersite.com/view.aspx?rid=61279