Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have tears constantly running out of my eyes - the eye specialist

Customer Question

I have tears constantly running out of my eyes - the eye specialist said he would run a cannula through my tear duct - day surgery - to unclog or unblock the tear ducts???? If the tear ducts are clogged or blocked, why do all the tears come flowing out all the time? So much so, I'm always wiping them away with a kleenex & always look like I'm crying - if inserting a "cannula" to unblock the tear ducts is the only option, isn't that risky surgery & sounds like I should be in-hospital longer than just day surgery - also - if that is the case, I'm demanding general anesthesia - wonder if you could help either ease my mind or is there anything else that can be done besides surgery for constant tearing? Thank you so very much
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

The nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) obstruction prevents the drainage of the tear through the puntum located in the nasal corner of the eye. This causes overflow of the tear from the palpebral conjunctiva lower lid. The unclogging of the tear duct will successfully resolve the constant tearing. This procedure is usually a one-day operation that requires monitored anesthesia care (MAC). Following the procedure (probing and irrigation), the eye doctor will likely give you eye drops to control any inflammation and infection.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.