Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I was told by my primary care doctor that I dont have conjunctivitis

I was told by my primary care doctor that I don't have conjunctivitis but he did treat me with antiboitics for a sinus infection. I started augmentin antibiotic 3 1/2 days ago but the corner of my eye near my nose on the side of my face that is congested--the eye is still quite red and has been for 12 days. What else could be causing this severe redness in just one corner of that eye?

Hello and thank you for your question.

There are a number of things that can be causing this redness.

1. Conjunctivitis: this can be the result of a bacterial infection, a viral infection, or even allergies. If there is significant itching in the inner corner of the eyes, this may support an allergic cause, especially if there is already a history of seasonal allergies. Viral conjunctivitis usually is associated with a recent cold, or exposure to someone with a red eye; however, usually the eye is not red in just one sector. Bacterial conjunctivitis is usually associated with a more profound redness, but the hallmark is thick, yellow-greenish discharge that is more in volume than just needing to dab with a tissue..

2. Episcleritis / Scleritis: these are more uncommon causes of red eye, but not rare. People with episcleritis often just have a red eye and no other symptoms such as eye pain, sensitivity to light, discharge or decreased vision. Patients with scleritis will usually have a significant deep/boring eye pain and may have sensitivity to light as well.

3. Secondary conjunctivitis: if you have significant sinus problems on that side, the pathway that drains tears which leads from your eyelid to your nose may be constricted from the swelling in the noses/sinuses. This may lead to backup and stasis of tears which can cause a nasolacrimal infection and spillover inflammation to the conjunctiva surrounding the tear duct on the eyelid.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is however, it is often quite difficult for primary care doctors to know which of these diagnoses is correct, conclusively. I would, therefore, recommend you see an ophthalmologist who can sort these issues out.

Does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I feel from reading your answer that I have secondary conjunctivitis due to the sinus swelling and pressure that is on that side of my face. I almost always get a sinus infection on that very side. If I have this secondary and it has caused a nasolacrimal infection due to stasis of tears, will this clear up as I continue to take the Augmentin antibiotic (875 millograms twice a day)?

It's possible, but you may need eye drops if it doesn't.