Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My eyes cry by themselves as I go about my daily affairs.

My eyes cry by themselves as I go about my daily affairs. Many times it interferes with my driving. The eye watering is daily, however occasionally, I get a sharp pain in the eye that quickly goes away. What could be causing this?

I have been checked for glacoma as my mother was blinded by it. I have high blood pressure and I am overweight, but I was told there was no sign of glacoma. Please help me.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing the symptoms of tear film dysfunction with excess reflex tearing. Such constant tearing can be caused by abnormal drainage of tear due to lack of proper drainage (punctum or lower lid position), blockage of the drainage and/or underlying chronic eye inflammation. To resolve this problem, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation with tests including Schmirer's test, ANA, CRP, ESR and ANCA panels. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Genteal tear drop 4 times daily (this will indirectly turn-off the excess tear production due to adequate tear on the cornea). If abnormal puncta (tear drainage entrance) is present, it can be corrected with mild eyelid re-positioning surgery. If there is underlying chronic eye inflammation, it can be controlled with medications such as prescription Lotemax or Alrex.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.