Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

The vision in one of my eyes is a tad unclear after splattering

Customer Question

The vision in one of my eyes is a tad unclear. I believe I splattered a drop of hot oil in it yesterday while cooking. This eye already has challenges because it does not blink and I routinely use lubricating gel in it due to a craniotomy that left me with some facial paralysis. I do not feel much on that left side anyway. I looked in the eye, as did my husband, with a flashlight and there does not appear visually to be any change/irritation whatsoever. I notice, though, that this eye does not respond to light much in terms of dilation. This; however, could be from the surgery years ago and I just never noticed before.

I tend to prefer natural therapies and to let my body heal itself unless there is something that can be done to expedite the healing process. If I damaged my pupil, even if I went to see an Eye Doctor, what could be done? Do these things heal, generally or once the oil hits the damage is permanent and the blurriness permanent? Resources are tight at the moment so spending money for a consult has to be weighed very carefully.

If I saw an Eye Doctor, other than an exam and diagnosis what could be done? Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

The irrigation of your eye after the splash was the first right step. The next step which I would suggest include the use of preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times day, and over the counter Zaditor tear drop 4 times daily (at least 5-10 minutes apart from the tear drop). This will resolve the new symptoms. If this symptoms of slight unclear vision does not resolve in 1 week, I suggest that you consider a follow-up visit with your eye doctor for closer evaluation.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for offering some immediate advice on what I can do to help.

What would an evaluation from an Eye Doctor do if I should need one other than tell me I have permanent damage or that the situation should right itself in "x" amount of time probably? I doubt there is a surgical solution to this problem. Thank you for your input.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also, I have "Thera Tears", Lubricant Eye Drops will that be as good as "Refresh"? Thanks. What will Zaditor do additionally? Thanks again. After these two questions and the one about the Eye Doctor I just sent that should do it for me.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much;

The evaluation if needed by your eye doctor is basically to exclude any eye tissue injury or persisting inflammation due to the splash that may require stronger eye drop such as prescription Zylet eye drops 4 times daily for about 7 day. It is more likely that this would resolve with 1 week with the above over the counter suggestions. Theratears is a good substitute for Refresh or Genteal tears. Zaditor eye drop has both anti-irritating and anti-inflammation effect, as it is likely that the splash has caused mild irritation and eye inflammation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response. Have a Happy Fourth of July celebration....
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
You are most welcomed.