Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have a macular pucker and I am 85 years old. My vision with

I have a macular pucker and I am 85 years old. My vision with both eyes is just fine. I dread having an operation on my eye at this age. My pucker has stayed the same for the last year and as I said my vision with both eyes is just fine.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

If the vision in the eye with macular pucker is also as good as the other eye ( you will appreciate this by closing the other eye ) , then surgery may not be necessary at this stage. Indication for surgery in macular pucker ( or pre-retinal gliosis as it is also called) is when the vision in the affected eye is reduced or has resulted in strong adhesions and vitrectomy is done along with peeling of the membrane in such cases.

As most cases have stable vision , no surgery is indicated and it only necessitates regular follow up , once in 6 months.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist