Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

i havebeen having severe blinking and now i cant hardly get

i havebeen having severe blinking and now i cant hardly get my eyes to stay open. What can i do...
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

This kind of severe blinking is called essential blepharospasm.It is more common in women and can have precipating and relieving factors. It occurs due to involuntary spasms of the muscles around the eye ( like orbicularis ). It usually does not respond well to medicines and requires botulinum injections around the eye. For those who cannot tolerate the botulinum injections , surgery is advised which involves removal of orbicularis , corrugator and procerus muscles. You must discuss the above with your ophthalmologist so that the type of treatment best suited for you can be decided.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

THE SURGRY , WILL IT LEAVE DROOPED EYES? OR WILL IT LOOK NATURAL?

Nowadays with newer surgical techniques( extended myectomy) , the cosmesis is much better after surgery. The amount of the muscle removed depends on the extent of blepharospasm. There is usually no drooping of the lids post-surgery. Sometimes there may be a mid-facial sag which can be taken care of with repositioning of brow fat. This is best done by an oculoplastic surgeon( an eye MD with additional experience in oculoplasty).

Thank you and best wishes

Do NOT press the accept button as you have already done so.