Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Accept Answer to your two previous replies, but feared doing

Okay, I wanted to click on "Accept Answer" to your two previous replies, but feared doing so would terminate our exchange. I vow to authorize payment for all three replies after receiving one more answer. (It's a vow.) Okay, just to be totally sure I can let this go (I've pretty much lost thyroid and renal functions via lithium and am determined not to ever need a large dog with a stiff harness), is this a fair summary of what you've said: Lamotrigine is not associated with declining vision over the years or specific eye diseases, including decline in loss of visual field. The only known visual effect is increased pigmentation, which may or may not be medically significant, and which can be monitored and measured. We don't know if quitting the lamotrigine would reverse this. There have been some cases of increased pigment, but it's a rare occurrence. It's nearly 1 a.m. in central Kentucky - time for the warm milk and cookies. Many thanks. If you are not the good doctor yourself, you are an able staffer. :D

Hello there

I dont think I could have summed it up any better myself. What you have to remember is that the drug company will list all the possible side effects but this is simply not something we screen people for as it is such a rare event. As a screening exam, I would suggest getting a visual field exam and dilated exam with an ophthalmologist. That would be sufficient as a screening. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens