Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hello I need some advice on Parafoveal Telangiectasia So

Customer Question

Hello I need some advice on Parafoveal Telangiectasia So here is the scenario....my mother (83) has been diagnosed with this condition. However the physician stated its not macular degeneration where she would ever have to fear losing her vision. Her long vision is actually quite good. Its her reading vision which is somewhat affected. She has difficulty reading sometimes and feels if she sees a row of letters, the one on the very far right margin is lost. Anyhow, she has received three injections of lucentis in the right eye spaced 6 weeks apart. Last one was end of March. Based on the post eye photos, her swelling has gone down and the doc was pleased. However, her vision has not decreased but it hasnt improved noticably either for reading. The doc now wants to do another three injections and a steroid drop. My mother had a bit of difficulty with the injections where extra anaesthetic had to be used as she really felt the prick of the needle into the eyeball. Docs like to do research and dont want her to be used as a guinea pig 1. What is the probablity if another 3 shots are given, she will see a noticable change in reading abiltity? 10%, 20% 50% 90% 2. In your opinion, this condition does not lead to blindness does it? Thanks
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
How about an answer!!!!!!
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Your mother is dealing with a difficult diagnosis and she has my sympathies.

Parafoveal telangiectasia many times presents with good vision or just mildly decreased (20/20 to 20/40). It sounds as if, given the history you've provided of her needing multiple Lucentis injections and her difficult with near vision tasks such as reading, that she may already be having some significant leakage from the retinal capillaries causing vision problems.

Unfortunately, not knowing what her exam looks like and what her fluorescein angiograms have looked like before and after the injections, I cannot say for certain what her chances of losing significant vision are. The vision in parafoveal telangiectasia can, over many years, decrease dramatically and can, in some cases, lead to legal blindness. If there is abrupt vision loss, this can be a sign that there are some new (and unwanted) blood vessels growing underneath the affected area of the retina, which would require these types of injections to stem the tide of vision loss. She may already be at this stage if she is receiving multiple Lucentis injections.

Approximately 5% of patients with this disorder go on to develop these new blood vessels (neovascularization). Unfortunately, however, there are no randomized, double-masked controlled clinical trials evaluating the efficacy of medicines such as Lucentis in the treatment of this disorder.

So, in summary, most people do not go on to legal blindness, but it is a distinct possibility. Depending on what type of pathology (new blood vessels versus chronic leakage of blood vessels) is causing her problems with near vision, her prognosis may be quite different. Unfortunately without knowing her exam and the other details of testing, it would be very difficult for me to give you odds; even with that information there is not a great deal of research trial information on this disorder to provide hard and fast prognostic odds. Sorry.

Does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All I can comment is that the treating retinal specialist appeared content with the first 3 lucentis injections. The swelling had gone down in that eye based on pre and post photos. However, her vision hasnt declined nor has it improved with her reading ability.

Obviously this physician can see something of improvement in the pictures.

I posed him the same questions and he didnt reply back.

So I guess another 3 shots of lucentis sounds theoretically good but some stats must be available on improving this condition.

Does 3 shots become 6? Does 6 shots become 9 shots?

This appears a bit of crapshoot. A definitive answer was being sought.

Yes, I can certainly understand how this appears to be a crapshoot.

The reasons why this appears to be so is two-fold:

1. Lucentis is a relatively new drug. It has only been available for us by ophthalmologists for only a few years. It is only FDA approved for the treatment of wet macular degeneration. It has a cousin called Avastin which is being used in the same way Lucentis is being used, but for many more off-label indications. In your mother's case, Lucentis is also being used off-label (there is no FDA approved indication to use this for parafoveal telangiectasia). However, the fact of the matter is that there are many diseases in the eye which have an angiogenic (blood vessel source) etiology which respond to both of these medicines. There are many studies going on now to compare both of these two drugs in their use of other common retinal diseases such as diabetic retinopathy and strokes inside the eyes. Unfortunately, however, parafoveal telangiectasia is such a relatively uncommon disorder, it has not been studied in a definitive, randomized, double-masked controlled study and likely will not be with respect to these medicines for some time, if ever. The most likely scenario is that doctors will use these two medicines off-label for PFT and report on their results and a preponderance of data will further or halt any trends to use these drugs.

2. Because there are no clinical trial data regarding PFT, it is up to the treating physician's best judgement to decide what regimen is needed. There are still no hard and fast treatment regimens that ophthalmologists use even when using Lucentis to treat wet macular degeneration, the condition for which it is FDA approved. In your mother's case, the decision about when/if to continue Lucentis and for how long does become a decision based on education, prior experience and the specifics of how your mother's eye looks and how it responds to the drugs.

So to sum it up, you will be very unlikely to get a definitive answer from anyone on this matter because there is none to be discovered. This is likely very unsettling for you and I can understand your apprehension. However, these drugs have shown great promise in treating a large amount of vascular ocular diseases, but there will be a large unknown about them with respect to PFT and other less common retinal vascular diseases for some time.

Does this help address your concerns? I know it probably is not the answer you want, but unfortunately in medicine there are many answers that we wish to get, but just are not factually supported to come to any conclusions, therefore the most honest and forthright answer is the one that has to be given, as the answer I have given you.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I shall authorize the payment though the answer was not what I was seeking.

Hard stats, my fine doctor!

The respective physician overlooking my mother doesnt like questions posed.

He has the personality of a toad but I digress. As long as he is competent.

My last question - the condition that I listed -parafoveal telangiectasia, which he diagnosed.

Is that a disease easily recognizable?

Regardless, will be recommending my mother seek another 3 injections.

Also, my mother had a bit of bleeding on 1 of her 3 injections - her eye was really bloodshot. She takes 2 baby aspirins and 1500 mg Omega 3?

Should she cease taking this a day or two prior to her next injection.

The bleeding wasnt a huge volume but in the eyeball a bit of blood looks alot more henious than on ones buttocks

The disease can easily be confused with diabetic retinopathy and in fact, is often seen in persons who are glucose intolerant, so many times this is diagnosed as diabetic retinopathy. So in other words, no, it is not especially easily recognizable but certainly is in the differential diagnosis for retinal telangiectasias near the fovea.

As far as whether she should stop her aspirin and omega 3, that is really a decision for her, you, and her primary care doctor. If her primary care doctor has placed her on these for a medical reason and believes that if she should not stop them she would be increasing her risk for a cardiovascular event, then no she should not stop them. If, however, her doctor believes that it is okay to stop them for these injections, she could stop them 7 days before the injection and then restart after the injection. These subconjunctival hemorrhages do look nasty sometimes, but they are usually just cosmetic and sometimes mildly irritating; otherwise they usually are self-limiting and don't pose an overall problem with the eye.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay thanks Dr Dan.

You are the only eye doc who fielded the question over the last two weeks on this site.

Guess my mother will proceed with the extra 3 injections for the time being.

Hopefully the nuisance pain will be be overshadowed by reading enhancement or at least stop it in its course.

I shall keep you updated so dont close the question......take care

I hope that your mother does better with the upcoming injections. The good thing about Lucentis is that it is very good at stopping leakage at the very least.

I hope to hear she does well and she'll be in my thoughts. Good luck. Look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr D

If you recall my mother has the above condition.

She also suffers from periodic facial rosecea.

Yesterday, she got her 4th injection of lucentis.

Her first three shots were from Jan to March of this year.

But yesterday the doc also gave a steroid injection in the eye

Previously, it was only drops.

He thinks in combo it would help her condition

Its planned only once for her three next lucentis shots

1. Can you comment on the steroid injection - why?

2. Can this flare rosecea in her face

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She actually had a flare up of rosecea today.

Cheeks hot to the touch and forehead cool

The steroid injection was likely used to augment the efficacy of the Lucentis; this is presumably because the effect of the Lucentis was not enough by itself.

As far as rosacea goes, intraocular injections, whether steroids or Lucentis are not known to cause flares.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, the steroid needle is only supposed to be once of the next 3 lucentis series shots.

I dont think its coincidence she had a roseacea flareup 24 hours post both needles.

Anyhow, hope this helps here

Okay
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more question to this situation and if I pose a new question down the road, will provide new funds.

My mother is 6 days post op since steroid shot and lucentis.

On her first three sole lucentis shots, her eye wasnt bloodshot even a couple days after.

This time, her eye is still bloodshot after almost a week. It was beet red last Friday and the "redness" isnt as bright as then but still distinctive when you look at her whites of her eyes.

1. Is this normal

2. When will it resolve

3. Anything to speed up process

Thanks and take care

I would say that it is abnormal for her eye not to be bloodshot a couple of days after the injections; however, I would say that by now she should be resolving the inflammation in the whites of her eyes from the injection and it sounds like she is. She definitely is having more inflammation with this one however as evidenced by the lingering injection in the conjunctiva.

I would think that this injection in the conjunctiva really should be resolved by 7-10 days after the injection; if not, I would consult with the doctor to discuss whether there might be anything else going on such as infection.

There really wouldn't be anything to do necessarily to speed up the process; however, it never hurts to use artificial tears 4-5x/day and or lubricating ophthalmic ointment. That may help the eye be less inflamed sooner.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
test
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
What are you testing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just added a second followup to this.

As may recall, I had a concern for my mothers pinkish eye after she received her 4th lucentis injection but this time with a steroid needle. This was done October 8th and 3 3 weeks plus its still pinkish.

Notified her eye physician and he stated not to be concerned as it would clear as long as she didnt have any pain which she doesnt. Her 5th injection is two weeks from now. He stated he would proceed if if the eye still wasnt 100 percent white.

My mother also experienced a funny sensation this morning. She felt she had rapid eye movement in both eyeballs. She took a nap for an hour and it cleared.

1. Should she halt having the 5th lucentis til the eye is 100 pecent clear

2. Whats the significance/cause of the rapid eye movement......she couldnt describe the feeling exactly, only she felt both eyes moving quickly???

Thanks for the advice

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Accepting only an answer from EYE DOCTOR DAN B

I just added a second followup to this.

Thanks for the advice

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CAN DR DAN B PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS FOLLOWUP QUESTION AND NO ONE ELSE JUMP IN

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can Dr James please release this question

Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
You need to stop replying. Each reply relocks the question. You will need to be patient and wait for Dr. DanB.
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

What you are describing is actually not uncommon in persons who have had multiple procedures / surgeries on their eyes. If she has received a clean bill of health from her ophthalmologist regarding signs of active inflammation or infection, then I do not think lingering conjunctival injection should preclude the next Lucentis drop. Unfortunately some people can retain a baseline level of redness after their eye has been through so much.

As far as the rapid-eye movements, that is a peculiar symptom. Many times what the patient perceives, though, is different from what is actually happening. Sometimes the fluttering or twitching of an eyelid can elicit this sensation of the eyes moving rapidly. Some persons have a predisposition for the eyes to not stay aligned together at all times, and at certain times such as when they are significantly fatigued, sick, inattentive or inebriated, this predisposition can manifest as the eyes drifting out or in and this may also be something she has been noticing. If this was a momentary phenomenon and hasn't happened before and is not happening since, resolving with sleep, then I suspect that this was related to fatigue. But if someone saw her eyes shifting rapidly or if this recurs, this would be something to alert her ophthalmologist to. However, other than these explanations, I do not have an explanation for involuntary, brief sensations of rapid-eye movements.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is the first time it happenned - the rapid eye movement.

I asked her if it was the eyelid but she stated it were both eyeballs??

Would this have anything remotely to do with a mini-stroke.

I am just speaking theoretical - isnt that one sign of having rapid eye movement??

OR are other classical stroke symptoms need to be observed which she didnt have

I still dont really wish her to have another lucentis shot til her eye is 100 percent white.

The first lucenits shots were taken relatively well.

It was only the 4th injection which caused the latency in having the eye still pink 3weeks plus

Any final comment to this> Thanks

Involuntary eye movements can be signs of a stroke, but can also be signs of abnormal electrical activity in the brain (seizure). In the absence of any other symptoms I would not jump to either of those diagnoses, but these should be the back of your minds.

I think it is a reasonable thing to postpone the Lucentis shot a little while longer to see if the conjunctival injection resolves itself. However, the risk that her condition worsens in that time is certainly something that needs consideration in and of itself. I would balance your observation of this problem with the eye doctor's exam of her eye and need for further Lucentis.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, I guess it makes sense.

The first three shots of Lucenits were all tolerated well.

The 4th one which came almost a half year after the first three injections which were spaced a week apart HAD the steroid needle

It seems two needles at once was too much.

She does take baby aspirin and omega as a general blood thinner.

Anyhow, I shall be accompanying her to the 4th injection.

But will probably postpone it until the eye is 100 percent white.

Her eye doc should have come to that conclusion but he is a study research hog who just looks at my mother as another test subject he can write an article about

It maybe that two injections at one sitting caused some inflammation in the outer wall that had not occurred with the other injections. I would not expect that the aspirin or omega fatty acids would cause this persistent conjunctival injection, though.

I can certainly understand what it feels like to be a patient of a doctor that doesn't seem to care because even as a a doctor, I've been a patient in this circumstance.

Good luck to you both.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also two new symptoms have risen.

Whether this has ANYTHING to do with the lucentis/steroid shot 4 weeks AGO???

She did experience a couple of weeks - just briefly, a sensation where both eyes had rapid eye movement. She no longer has that

But since Thursday her left eyelid is twitching quite a bit where she feels comfortable with it. Also she feels her eyelid is drooopy. She described it as the blinds not going completely up.

She has had eye twitching in the past but not to this extent.

Again, its the left eye which was treated.

Whats the practical recourse for this. She puts REFRESH eyes drops in both eyes

I have already made the recommendation to her eye doc til the redness is completely gone and this other condition subsides - postpone the next lucentis

Any opinion to get rid of the eye twitching

Eyelid twitching is a sign of generalized irritation or fatigue. Its triggers vary from person to person. For some it is using their eyes a lot (excess reading, TV, computer work). For others, the eye may be dry, have allergies, or they may be rubbing their eyes a lot. For many people, there is no identifiable cause, which can be the most distressing.

This is rarely due to any significant pathology, but is very likely secondary to all of the procedures that your mother's eye has undergone. Most of these resolve in 4-6 weeks spontaneously. If it hasn't resolved by then, then a workup for this may be needed. It would also be worthwhile to mention it to her eye doctor so that he is aware of it, but he'll probably tell you what I've told you and elect to wait it out and observe it because most do resolve spontaneously.

What you are doing right now is the best recommendation to give to treat this. To make artificial tear therapy work, however, they must be used consistently: 3-4x/day, everyday for at least 3 weeks, better 4. If you only use them when you feel like you need them, they won't work. I would also recommend using cool compresses 2-3x/day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought warm compresses would be better to relax the eye.

You are inferring COLD

If I dont hear back, cold will be deemed as the better choice or recommended

Bon soir

Actually I did mean cold. For an irritated eye, cold tends to calm down the inflammation and irritation better than warm.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My mother proceeded last Friday with her 5th lucentis shot

That came 5 weeks after the 4th shot which was coupled with the steroid shot.

The doc stated the steroid shot was a thicker guage needle which resulted in a blood vessel being hit and causing the blood shot look.

After the 5th injection, the eye looked the same - not worse not better

So hope time clears this.

However, her eyelid twitching continues which is driving her bonkers

Doc also stated her eyes are dry

A thicker bore needle is certainly more likely to cause a broken blood vessel but thus blood should definitely be cleared after 4 weeks.

As far as dry eyes, anytime an eye has surgical procedures done on it, it tends to be more dry after them and it becomes harder to control this dry eye.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr D

Since the last post - my mothers eye twitching has stopped and the red spot in the lucentis left eye has cleared up. She had her last lucentis in mid November

She had a steroid shot and lucentis also a month prior in October

Other than her visual sharpness, she is fixated on the aspect that her left eyelid droops a tad meaning when the eyelid is in its raised position, its a bit lower (or not drawn up as high) as her right eye.

She blames this on the injections in the eyeball and didnt want to get the last one of the series. She had been suffering from a UTI recently so the last shot has been postponed.

I have told her the eyelid positioning has nothing to do with the injection.

What could this be attibuted to?

Thanks and safe 2011

For the most part you are correct; the Lucentis shots don't cause drooping of the eyelid. Sometimes an eye that has significant, prolonged inflammation can cause the lid to droop mildly but this is usually not severe or permanent.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But how does an inflammation of the eyeball itself or the injection into it - actually affect the eyelid.

I dont think she has significant inflammation.

Its just poor chance its happenned now as she is a senior - weakening eye muscle

Needless to say, she wants no further eye injection

How would this be diagnosed?

If she has not had significant inflammation, then you're correct, it is probably just because of age. An ophthalmologist should be able to examine her to know the difference. The pathophysiologic basis for the eyeball inflammation to cause a droopy eyelid is not well known.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had lunch with my mother (84) and without her glasses.

Noticed her left eyelid is a bit lower. But also in the corner of that left eyelid junction, she has a pocket of tissue - fat??? It doesnt hurt when pressed upon.

She has already been referred to a cosmetic surgeon so presume the lucentis eye doc has noted this previously.

If its true, its fat and it could be theoretically removed - how easy is it?

Or perhaps leave it alone. Docs always understate a procedure's risk

Imagine spot training isnt possible

I would say that if your mother is overly concerned about this lesion affecting her appearance or if her eye doctor is concerned that it may be something else other than orbital fat, then she should go ahead with the removal. However, if it's not bothering her and there's no suspicion of it being something other than orbital fat, then if it were me I would just leave well enough alone and not do anything with it. This is because, as you said, this would carry risks of pain, infection, bleeding and scarring among others.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Dan

You were kind enough to dispense advice on this topic

So my mother was diagnosed with Parafoveal telangiectasia
Back in 2010, she received apprx 5 lucentis injections and one steroid shot

She had problems with reading with her one eye (left). Right eye okay and long vision good on both eyes
Retina specialist wanted further lucentis shots but my mother ceased as she had tremendous pain on the steroid shot and didnt feel any improvement in her reading

Specialist stated he saw less inflammation on the digital photography.
---
Anyhow, that was over 1 1/2 years ago.
She saw a new optometrist this year and was referred to a opthamologist
He lasered both of her artifical lens as they were cloudy yesterday

But a few weeks ago, when he first saw her - he stated he sees more blood in her left eye and has referred her to the retina specialist. That occurs in three weeks.
They wanted to see her tomorrow already but the lens lasering caused her headaches, sapped her energy and she was very light sensitive yesterday

So I thought it was best a bit of a rest before the next series of eye dilation drops, photography etc

I dont know what "blood" meant in the eye with this eye condition she has

1. Is there a rebound effect when lucentis is stopped where it gets worse after the lucenitis wears off

2. Can 2 baby aspirin and 1500mg daily omega 3 contribute to blood in the eye
She takes it as she has atrial fib and refuses warfarin.

3. Is lucentis warranted in these cases on an ongoing basis?

She was also tested for diabetes this past month and was negative
Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.
The blood is significant for re-activation of her para favela telangiectasia. Because of this I would recommend not waiting for three weeks if you can help it. There is not enough known about the natural history of PFT and it's response to Lucentis to knowing this is a rebound effect, though I would say that if she were doing fine off injections for 1.5 years, this doesn't sound like a rebound effect, but more likely a reactivation. The baby aspirin certainly can contribute to this bleeding as it is a blood thinner, though I don't think the omega 3 has that property? if she's taking the aspirin for Afib, it's more important to remain on the aspirin, despite repeat bleeding in the retina, because of the risk of a catastrophic vascular event from the Afib if she were to be off the aspirin. I can't necessarily say that on-going, indefinite Lucentis treatment is necessary, though it certainly seems as though she may need several rounds ofmLucentis like before to put the brakes on this episode, at the very least.

Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is defined as "several rounds"

Back in October 2010, on her 4th lucentis injection a steroid shot was administered

It caused her significant pain and her eye was bloodshot for 3 months after

No digital photography was taken after that incident

In 2011, she was seen by an optometrist who never saw any blood

In 2012, again an optometrist saw no blood

Just in the last month, an opthamologist observed this

I dont know if this type of bleeding can occur over night in these blood vessels or takes weeks, months to develop.

Is there any link to Oct 2010 steroid injection or is that unrelated

Aspirin does work synergistically with omega 3s as a blood thinner.
She did increase her uptake from 1000mg to 1500mg daily plus two baby aspirins

Whether this is unrelated??

Anyhow no one seems to give a definitive answer

Several rounds, I would consider to be like her last round of treatment in October 2010 when she had multiple injections; it can be anywhere from 1-12 in an year depending on the response of the disease.

I think no one can give you a definite answer as to whether the increase in blood thinners is directly involved because there's really no way of knowing. Certainly if she didn't have PFT, she would not have spontaneous bleeding, but because she does, it's certainly possible that the increase in dose of those two medicines may have contributed to it. But it's also possible that the PFT is just reactivating. No one will ever be able to definitively answer that question unfortunately.

And yes, this can start up again overnight.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So its hard to decipher if her current condition however significant it is is just because of the pvt by itself or worsened by her aspirin/omega 3 regiment. I always thought omega 3s were good for the retina

Anyhow, her control of the atrial fibrillation needs control as she doesnt want warfarin

So her current regiment needs to be continued

If there is any link, would warfarin cause this to be even more serious???
------
If blood thinners have no link here and its just activation of this pvt

Surely in 2012, there must be some data that states a person who has taken 5 lucentis shots over a certain time period, is unlikley for the condition to worsen etc etc

Or 6 shots, 12 etc etc

Her long distance seems quite sharp from both eyes with specs

Is an opthamologist better equiped with gadgets to guage obvious bleeding than a optometrist or should the latter not be able to catch this as well

The retina specialist is in a hospital with digital photography capability
So that will be the ultimate diagnostic, I guess

She had her eyes lasered 48 hours ago and still suffering headaches and not "fresh"

She is not in the frame of mind to have more dilation for photography and another eye injection.

You never commented about the steroid injection causing permanent vessel damage back in 2010 so presume its unrelated to what she has now

Anyhow, thanks for your opinion. You cant assess this over the web with no visuals either

So, presumably, if blood thinners were playing a role here, it's possible warfarin may make it worse. Realistically, though, I think it's more likely to be just a reactivation of PFT than it is blood-thinner related. I wouldn't be fooling with an optometrist at this point. She has a serious medical eye condition and having her follow-up with an optometrist is like asking your groundskeeper to manage a crumbling foundation of a house. Yes, ultimately the retinal specialist is the one she needs to be seeing regularly, unless they feel she can be seen by the comprehensive ophthalmologist intermittently. Yes, I think the steroid injection is not playing a role in this issue--I don't think that caused permanent vessel damage, leading to this episode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello
If you may recall about 3 weeks ago I threw the scenario past you with new "blood" in her eye. At the time, you advised to not post pone seeing the retinal specialist

At the time, my mother just had recovered from lasering her artifical lens
That hit her a bit - the dilation especially, headaches, she felt grit in her eye and had floaters.

She was going to a classical concert about a week later so for someone in her 80's, something more positive to look forward to was the bigger objective than yet another doc visit.

Anyhow, her retina appt is this Friday coming up.

She experienced pain a couple of days ago in her left eye waking her at night time.
She put heat on and helps her. If she puts refresh drops in, it also helps her.
She feels there is always grit in her eye.

I dont know if this another unrelated eye ailment as she has been diagnosed with "dry eyes"

However, I dont know if its significant with her pft. I asked her if she wanted me to get the appoitment quicker but she declined.

Any suggestions or wait til Friday. Thankyou
These symptoms all sound consistent with dry eye so I wouldn't worry about going in early.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So recap

Saw retina specialist today

The referring opth. inferred to him that my mother had suspect wet macular degeneration.

A series of digital photographs were taken including some yellow dye injected into the arm.

The Retina specialist (RS), it is not wet macular degeneration but the worsening of the LXT. He threw both terms around 2 years ago and stated PFT is the same and not a common condition.

We live in a public medical funded system

Two years ago, lucentis was covered for all eye condition but now only covered for serious eye conditions but not LXT

He recommended another 3 injections spaced 4 weeks apart for EVANTIS

125 per needle vs 1500 for lucentis

He stated "there was quite a bit of spillage" eye vessels and the condition had worsened a bit. Subjective analysis to say the least.

So she got her first needle of evantis through an intern who again caused a bit of bleeding. Whether she wiggled around, who knows but the whole experience wasnt

great

Two years ago, after her 3 lucentis injections, RS stated there was alot less inflammation but it made no real difference in her reading ability.

So

1. How does one guage on a numerical scale if her condition truly worsened

in two years to warrant more injections etc

2. Is Evantis better, equal, inferior to Lucentis for LXT

3. Can LXT actually proceed to something more adverse

4. How can one eye doctor state its macular degeneration while another states no?

5. Can LXT proceed to blindness. Obviously, its not deemed critical as she is no longer eligible to receive free Lucentis

1. The only way to numerically scale whether her condition has truly worsened is by measuring her visual acuity (the ultimate, overall functional effect of the condition on her eye), but the fluorescein angiogram (FA, or dye study test) can demonstrate worsening fluid retention and leakage and an optical coherence tomograph (OCT) scan can show numerically worsened leakage and thickening of the retina, if that's technology that is available to your RS.

2. Avastin (Evantis) is, for all intents and purposes, equal in efficacy, safety to Lucentis when treating macular degeneration (research proven) and by all accounts as equal to Lucentis when used for other conditions such as diabetic macular edema (swelling in the retina due to diabetic retinopathy), but that's not been shown in research studies. I would suspect that Avastin is also comparable to Lucentis for this, but there are no research studies yet to prove this, nor do I suspect any will be done just because of the relative paucity of candidates available to be research subjects for that diesease.

3. I think either PFT or LXT can proceed to choroidal neovascularization (which ultimately is the worst outcome), but in and of themselves, don't otherwise turn into another disease.

4. I think that difference in diagnoses is based on opinion and experience. Unfortunately what is teal to one person is aqua blue to another. I suspect if you went to several more ophthalmologist you would find a few more say macular degeneration and just as many or more side with the other diagnosis.

5. Sure this can proceed to blindness, but I think the preponderence of evidence (and the effect on society) of macular degeneration leading to blindness is just so much more glaringly obvious and health care systems make decisions and allocate dollars based on what diagnoses they feel will do the most good for the most people. Pretty lame way of doing things, but nonetheless, there you go.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The RS had more diagnostic ability and stated its not macular degeneration but LXT

Or when I stated PFT, he said, its the same condition

So whether its either one, how can another state its macular d.

Is this so difficult to delineate between

I am hoping the RS is correct

Her right eye is fine and shows nothing. I read macular d is usually in both eyes

So I am having difficulty pushing my mother in this series of ongoing eye injections

1. Could evantis proof itself more effective physiologically than lucentis or unlikely

2. If an eye got enough anaesthetic - why would it cause a severe prick pain

Is this due to intern error

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr Dan

Do drugs such as Pradaxa or aspirin worsen macular edema or JXT? Meaning they continue to erode the eye with or without lucentis