Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765
Eye

I have occasional Lightning bolt floaters in my eye. They

I have occasional "Lightning bolt"... Show More
I have occasional "Lightning bolt" floaters in my eye. They fade within 5 to 10 minutes,
and there is no pain associated with them. They have become more frequent in the last few months -- perhaps once every few weeks. They block my field of vision behind the "bolt" shaped floater, and they usually drift off to the right as they fade.
Is this something to be concerned about?
Category: Eye
replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Considering the fact that your vision is not affected otherwise and your daily routine is not affected too , then it is most likely to be a posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ).

In this condition the thick gel at the middle of the eye ( vitreous ) gets detached from its surrounding .Usually it is due to aging and as such is a harmless condition and does not require any treatment . Rarely in the event of it causing traction on the retina,it may result in retinal tears which occasionally progress to a retinal detachment. This is characterised by a sudden decrease in vision or rather like a curtain falling in the line of vision, and should be reported to an ophthalmologist immediately.

As of now you do not have any visual complaint , so very unlikely that you have any problem in the retina. You need to report to an ophthalmologist immediately only in case you have acute visual complaints explained above. For precautionary measures you can get a retina test done at your convenience later.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.