Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Nearly every morning, my eyes hurt & are light-sensitive, teary,

Nearly every morning, my eyes hurt & are light-sensitive, teary, & vision is blurred. My vision blurs at other times as well. I'm 40, but have 20/20 vision. when it isn't blurry.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

You are most likely experiencing symptoms of dry eyes especially when your vision is 20/20 otherwise. You can put lubricating eye drops like preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day. If you ever feel that your vision gets slightly blurred while reading/writing or feel the need to hold the texts much farther to read clearly , you can consider wearing reading glasses for near work only. If no such difficulty is there , then lubricating eye drops are enough.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So even though my eyes are teary and weepy every morning and sometimes throughout the day (especially my right eye, ruining my eyeliner all the time Smile), they are actually too dry? And I just remembered something else: when I wake, most mornings my eyes are nearly glued shut with a sticky crust which takes some effort to wash off. Again, are these things - runny eyes, crusty eyes in the morning - symptoms of dry eyes?

Ironically yes!! Dry eyes is due to either reduced secretion of the tears or due to break up of the tear film due to various factors like reduced blinking from excessive reading / viewing TV or computers . The first reation of the eye in case of early dry eyes is by reflex tearing which gives rise to symptoms of watering and blurred vision. The normal tear film has 3 layers - water , mucus and lipid layers. When the lipid layer is reduced ( invariably from posterior blepharitis ) it can cause crusting of the lids and sticking of the lids in the morning. So I guess you will have to start with the basic treatment of dry eyes with lubricating eye drops .

There can be other causes of watering and blurred vision but are very unlikely in your cases as they are associated with other eye symptoms like redness / photophobia / reduced vision / pain. The conditions could be keratitis/ dacryocystitis etc but you have no symptoms suggestive of these ( normal vision , no discharge , no redness)

Thank you and best wishes Smile