Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

It is difficult to open my eyelids upon waking up in the morning

Customer Question

It is difficult to open my eyelids upon waking up in the morning or during sleep times. Using an over-the-counter product for moisture helps. However, I am concerned about the cause.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptom of difficulty opening the eyes due the filamentary keratitis with filaments formed from tiny debris deposit and/or mucus causing cornea nerve irritation. Chronic dry eyes and/or ocular allergy predisposes you to such complication. To resolve this problem, I suggest that your eye doctor closely evaluate your cornea, and treat you with drops such as Mucomyst (N-acetylcysteine) 10% eye drop. This drop is available through prescription and possibly need to be compounded by your local pharmacist. In addition, I suggest that you use only preservative free tear drop such as Refresh Plus or Genteal tear drop.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.