Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Sometimes I see a ring of wavy flashing lights- left eye only-

Sometimes I see a ring of wavy flashing lights- left eye only- it lasts only 5 or 10 minutes and then goes away for days. Is this an eye problem or maybe something else.?

Welcome to Just Answer

Intermittent flashes of light is more likely to be due to ocular migraine or due to PVD- posterior vitreous detachment ( along with floaters). In your case it is more likely to be due to migraine ( not necessary to be associated with headaches). Both the conditions are not serious and do not any medicines for the eyes. The prophylaxis for migraine is usually given for those who have headaches also, Tab.Flunarizine 10 mg once daily in the evening for one month. PVD does not require any treatment too as it is due to aging phenomenon and results in clumping of the thick gel at the back of the eye.

A routine retina test should be carried out just to ensure that the retina is normal and does not have any retinal holes following retinal traction from the PVD. If at all found it can be sealed with lasers.

The only time you need to get immediate treatment is when the flashes of light are associated with sudden floaters or sudden decrease in vision in that eye which heralds a retinal detachment .

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.