Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

pain around the left eye, especially when bending over

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Do you suffer from sinusitis?

Does the pain subside with analgesics?

Since how long have you been experiencing these symptoms?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I never suffer from sinusitis........

I took all medicines possible for a week and nothing,, tynelol , aspirin etc

For a week now

Thank for the reply

We have to consider all the possible causes of pain around one eye ( considering there is no associated redness/watering/photophobia/reduced vision in that eye) such as ocular migraine and sinusitis.

For the treatment of migraine analgesics are given such as tab.acetaminophen 650 mg twice a day till pain subsides. For prophylaxis tab.flunarizine 10 mg once at bedtime for one month is given.

Though you may not have had sinusitis in the past , it is still a common cause of pain around the eye due to close proximity of the sinuses to the eye. It is treated with analgesics mentioned above, steam inhalation once a day to relieve congestion, A course of antibiotics such as tab.Azithromycin 500 mg once daily for 3 days.

If there is an ocular cause , usually there is associated redness/watering/photophobia/reduced vision. If any of these symptoms are there , you need to consult an ophthalmologist , otherwise you can consult your GP for the needful.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I think we have to eliminate the ocular cause since I dont present any of the symptoms.

I havad had ocasionally migraines in the past and this is kind of the pain afterwards, especially when you move your head down and you get this weird sensation of heaviness in your eyes. Even now when I blow my nose after shower all the left eye area hurts..............

What do you suggest I should take over the counter?

Should I wait a couple of days before taking it more serious?

Most likey do you think is a sinusitis problem even though I do not recall having it before?

I can assure you this is not a typical migraine case since I know the sympotns very well, this started all of a sudden.....................directly as a eye pain.

Your feedback will be much appraciated.

As you have rightly observed it is likely to be sinusitis because you do not have any other eye symptoms at all. You can start with steam inhalation twice a day, Analgesic along with decongestant like tab.sinarest , 1 tablet twice a day for a week . If symptoms persist beyond a weeks treatment , then you need to consider a check up by your General physician for a course of antibiotics.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what sinarest brand do you suggest???

what analgeisc? brand?

thanks.

Sinarest is the brand name of the combination of analgesic ( paracetamol 500 mg) + decongestant ( phenylepherine hcl 10 mg) + anti-histaminic ( chlorpheniramine maleate 2 mg) and caffiene. You need to take 1 tablet twice a day.

Thanks and best wishes