Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My eyes water alot and especially when I laugh. Its very annoying...I

My eyes water alot and especially when I laugh. It's very annoying...I can't keep eye make up on because of my eyes watering so much. Some times it feel like there is something in them. Is there anything I can do? If so, shoukld I see and opthamologists or an optometrist?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the reflex tearing symptom caused by the stimulation of the lacrimal gland, especially with laughing. Part or a branch of the nerve that control facial expression in laughing also act on on the lacrimal gland involved in reflex tearing. Normally, tearing is not stimulated by laughing because the basal (normal or regular) tearing that keeps the cornea and eye moist is produced by other accessory glands (Krause and Wolfing) controlled by different nerves. So, it is likely that with poor basal tearing, the reflex tearing becomes activated easily to compensate for the poorly moist cornea, or irritation caused by a foreign body in the eye. In addition, it would be important to exclude other causes such as ocular myokymia syndrome or aberrant regeneration whereby the facial expression nerves (involved in laughing) increase their effect on the lacrimal gland. I suggest that you use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily. If not significantly resolve in 1 week, I suggest that you follow-up with an ophthalmologist for closer evaluation.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.