Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My daughter was diagnosed with Macular degeneration when she

My daughter was diagnosed with Macular degeneration when she was 24 years old in her left eye.
She has had Lucentis and aventis treatment which has stopped it from getting any worse,but there is no improvement.
Renee is now 30 years old and we have noticed that her eye has drooped a little especially when she is tired etc, Ive noticed she squints in that eye no doubt to compensate for the other eye.
My question is, Renee is very aware of how it appears in photos etc as she is planning to get married shortly.
Would Botox injections help in any way to stop her squinting, or is there any other suggestion you may know of.
Thankyou for your time
Deborah.

Welcome to Just Answer

Botox injections may not be the right option for the squint or the drooping of the eyelid in the left eye. An eye with reduced vision usually goes for an outward direction (away from the nose) . But if it deviates inwards ie towards the nose then a detailed refraction can be repeated and appropeiate correction is needed if need be with a small prism. But from cosmetic point of view , glasses may not be the choice ( considering she is getting married). Surgical correction of drooping of the lid( ptosis) and squint can be done, though at different sittings.

She can meet a oculoplastic surgeon for an opinion in this regard, who can suggest the need for surgery after examining the eye.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Edited by Dr. A.S. Desai on 6/7/2010 at 7:57 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thankyou, Renee already wears contacts and has since she was 14 years old.

Would the surgery in any way affect her macular degeneration? Have you heard of someone so young having macular degeneration?

Thank you for the reply

Since she has been wearing contact lenses for long , likely that she has short sightedness , which can cause pseudosquint . There is no need for surgery for this type of pseudo squint. But if the drooping of the lid is obvious , it can be corrected by a surgery by an oculoplastic surgeon ( ptosis correction). This surgery will have no effect on the existing macular degeneration.

Yes, macular degeneration can occur in young individuals too. It is unlike the age related macular degeneration ( ARMD) commonly seen in the elderly.In her case it is more likely to be chorio-retinal degeneration secondary to pathological myopia in which the macula is involved . She has already received the treatment for this ( avastin, lucentis) which has prevented further worsening ( it regresses the choroidal new vessels ).

Thanks and best wishes