Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

over the past 5 years my symptoms are becoming more frequent

over the past 5 years my symptoms are becoming more frequent and worse. I have been keeping a log to see what i can be allergic to but cant correlate anything. I have seen 2 allergists and eye doctors. My symptoms are blood shot eyes, itchyness. tingling on my eyelids. I have learned not to rub them when this happens, however, regardless..welts form on my upper eyelids. major swelling of upper and lower lids as well as scleredema. I take 2 benadryl everytime this happens..any possible causes??
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question.

Please allow me to ask you a few questions so that I may better understand the problem.

Is this an episodic phenomenon and if so, how often is this happening?

What is the symptom that bothers you the most (red eyes, itching, tingling, swelling of eyelids)?

When you wake in the morning do your eyes burn, tear and feel irritated? If so, does this get better throughout the day?

Are your eyelashes caked or mattered in the morning?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It happend rarely. But now seems to be happening more. I had a baby in December. It has happened 5 times since then. It is episodic. All different times of the day.My eyes are always blood shot and feel dry when I wake up. I am a nurse and work in a hospital. It was happening frequently there. I thought that i had a latex allergy..but had blood work that came back negative. I was treated a few months ago with scleritis..had tons of blood work for autoimmune disorders..all negative...and now I have a treated blood clot in my leg and take coumadin and cant even take NSAIDS.

Do your eyes burn/sting and/or tear in the mornings?

What one symptom bothers you the most?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no..my eyelashes are not caked or mattered in the morning. My eyes do burn in the morning. I can handle that. what i cant deal with is the major swelling that occurs. The swelling only affects my eyes. Between the swelling on both the top and bottom..it almost swells my eyes closed. And then the sclera gets wavy appearance and leaks a sticky substance out of my eyes. All my allergy testing..skin probes where negative...what could it be

Sorry; just a few more questions to narrow this down.

Do the eyes themselves hurt?

Is the redness on the eyes localized to one part of the eye?

Which swelling is more predominant (the bigger problem): swelling of the eyeballs themselves or the eyelids? Does one happen more often without the other?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they dont hurt usually on a day to day basis. just feel dry and irritated..like sand is in them. the blood shot appearance is only where the eyeball is visable. not under the upper lid. if i could get benadryl in quick enough i could usually limit the swelling to just the upper lid. however usually it happens to fast...swelling all coinsides together..sometimes i get welts on the upper lids. large fluid filled, itchy red areas. not always though. just usually swelling of the upper lid..all under my eyes and the eyeball also. this happened to me yesterday afternoon..i took 2 benadryl...the swelling of my upper lid is resolved today..however i still have huge fluid filled areas under both of my eyes. my vision is never affected..however well my sclera swells..sometimes it feels very picky

The symptoms you described may be indicative of several things, including idiopathic orbital inflammation, allergic conjunctivitis, or blepharochalasis.

Given that you don't have significant pain in the eyes, idiopathic orbital inflammation is not as likely.

Allergic conjunctivitis can have some of the same symptoms you are describing, but usually the symptoms and signs are more constant (not as episodic) and not as severe.

While rare, the signs and symptoms you are describing sound consistent with blepharochalsis syndrome. The episodic leaking of fluid in and around the eyes with the eyelids filling with fluid in swift fashion is characteristic of this. It is also found usually in young women such as yourself.

If this is the case with you (and your symptoms seem to support this) there is not an established treatment or treatments that have been proven to work. A combination of antihistamines (claritin, zyrtec, benadryl), mast-cell stabilizers (cromolyn sodium), steroids (both topical and oral) and cool compresses has shown to be the most effective. However, these work best when taken on regular basis and not on an episodic basis. Cool compresses also work best when done frequently and regularly.

Does this help to address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology