Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Im pretty sure I have Macular Degeration . I see quite well

I'm pretty sure I have Macular Degeration . I see quite well outside in the daytime, not so well at night, I try to go places that I am familiar with . I just turned 88 and am wondering if there is any help for me. My right eye seems to have a blurred area. I have been seen very regularly by an Opthamologist, unfortunately he never offered any warning about myt eyes getting bad. Any ideas? I don't want to give up driving as I have no family here and just recently lost my best friend who I could always call on to drive.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your inquiry.

Please allow me to ask you some questions so that I can become more familiar with the problem.

Has your ophthalmologist ever diagnosed you with Macular Degeneration? If not, what makes you think you have it--is it the blurry area in your vision?

Have you ever had any surgery or trauma to your eyes?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had Cataract surgery on both eyes about 10 years ago. An optician told me I had macular degentation
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I thought I covered everything. The only other thing I might mention is that it takes some time for my eyes to focus but once I do I don't seem to be limited in what I can do. I read best without my glasses. They do well for distance but even after 3 esams and new glasses I can't seem to read wearing them. I'm hoping I'm not too far along so that I can get help
Please see my other post.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What Post?????

Macular degeneration usually causes a central vision loss, not a corner or peripheral vision deficit. If this is because of macular degeneration I would expect that you would have more of a central vision problem.

Has your doctor mentioned anything about glaucoma? Glaucoma, as a rule, affects the peripheral vision and not the central vision until an advanced stage.

There are two types of macular degeneration: dry and wet. Most have the dry, only a small amount the wet form. For people that lose significant vision, most of them have the wet. The only thing that can be done for people who have wet macular degeneration (leaking and bleeding in the retina) is having medicine injected in the eye soon after the bleeding starts. If this leaking/bleeding is left for a few weeks, it can scar and the vision problems it causes become permanent.

If you have dry macular degeneration, then the only things to be done for this are taking macular degeneration vitamins on a daily basis, not smoking, eating a healthy diet and living a healthy lifestyle, and also monitoring your vision on a daily basis for vision changes that may signal a change from dry to wet macular degeneration.

Glaucoma, however, is a different story. For the majority of people, it is a very treatable disease. Usually drops are effective at lowering pressure and this is what treats glaucoma and ultimately stops vision loss.

Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology