Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

my son has central apnea were the brain is not telling the

my son has central apnea were the brain is not telling the muscles to breathe.
can this also be associated with eye problems, for the past year he has had blurry vision in the right eye and what he calls interference, snowy effect etc.
he has had every test from mri, cat scan,lumbar puncture and they have no diagnosis.
his optic nerve was swollen and that is why all the test were done at that time.

he has been diagnoses with central apnea.

Does your son have diabetes mellitus?

Does he have other neurologic symptoms such as focal weakness/numbness in his face or any limb? Bowel or bladder incontinence?

Does his blurry vision get worse when he gets hot (exercises or has a hot shower)?

What other medical problems does your son have?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no he has none of the above.
he did take 40mg paxil for 6 years for social anxiety but did a slow withdrawal this year from them.
the only thing is central apnea which he has a cpap machine although because it is central apnea doesnt really help, he is always tired.

Central apnea, in and of itself, is not associated with any particular vision or eye problem. Some causes of central apnea can be the cause of bilateral optic nerve swelling (damage to breathing centers in the brain from tumors, stroke or infection), and certain types of brain malformations (Arnold-Chiari).

Diabetes can cause a unilateral optic nerve swelling, but without history of this, it is unlikely.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you a positive association between this condition and your sons optic nerve swelling.

Does that help answer your question, however?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.