Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Are there any long term harmful effects of placing too much reliance

Customer Question

Are there any long term harmful effects of placing too much reliance on wearing eyeglasses ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Eyeglasses only bend light to reach the appropriate spot on the retina. Because all they accomplish is bending light, they therefore do not change the structure of the eye.

Because they do not change the structure of the eye, they do not inherently cause any harmful effects on the eyes.

The most harmful effect you may get from wearing glasses is maybe a headache if they are the inappropriate prescription for you.

For those people who have spent the majority of their lives not wearing glasses, then develop the need for glasses and subsequently use them alot, these people may find it harder to go back to a life without the use of glasses. This sometimes occurs, not because the person has become habituated to the glasses, but because they have become used to the good vision the glasses provide and don't like to go back to what is now sub-standard vision.

Does that answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Has the information I provided you with been helpful in answering your questions?

If so, I would appreciate it if you could press the ACCEPT button to allow me to get credit for my efforts.

If you have other questions about this topic, I would be happy to answer them.