Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Is there someting I can take to help with the red, puffy areas

Is there someting I can take to help with the red, puffy areas under my eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to and thanks for your question.

Please allow me to ask a few questions to better understand the problem.

Are these puffy areas under your eyes always there?

Are they always red?

Do you have seasonal allergies (in other words, do your eyes itch, do you sneeze, have a runny nose)?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No - my eyes tend to be dry, but not itchy. No major runny nose or sneezing. I was just tested for allergies and tested positive for dust mites. I'm washing my bedding in hot water every week.

Last Friday, I'm pretty sure Dr. Oz had this topic at the begining of his TV show and mentioned taking an antihistamin for under- eye pufiness and I missed it.

Certainly, allergies (whether solely ocular or systemic as well) can contribute to the swelling of the skin and tissues underneath the skin of the lower eyelids.

If this is truly an allergic phenomenon then taking an oral antihistamine can provide some benefit. Also, assuming an allergic process occurring, using cool compresses over the eyes can also provide some benefit.

The one thing to be aware of is when swelling is accompanied by redness, tenderness, fevers, chills, eye pain or decreased vision. If these occurring, then this is not simple allergies and should be evaluated by an ophthalmologist.

Does this address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My original question was - is there anything I can take .............." I was hoping you would suggest a good OTC antihistamine, My pharmacist can do that.
Claritin (generic name loratidine) and Zyrtec (cetirizine) are excellent over the counter antihistamines that work very well and are not significantly sedating.