Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Today I noticed that one of my eyes is smaller than the other

Today I noticed that one of my eyes is smaller than the other - what could cause that? edith personette
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Is there any pain /watering/reduced vision/drooping of the upper lid in the smaller eye?

Is there any watering / inability to close the lid properly / prominence of the other eye?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO

Thank you for the reply

I guess the answer to all the above is no. In that case , one possiblity is that there is a mild ptosis in the smaller eye ( must have been more gradual in onset but noticed today). It is due to an age related degeneration of the levator aponeurosis ( muscle in the upperlid ). If very mild and not coming in the way of vision , it can be left alone. If moderate it can treated by surgery. You can consult an ophthalmologist for a confirmation and to know the extent of ptosis for further management.

Apart from this if the smaller eye developes any acute symptoms asked earlier, you must report earlier to an ophthalmologist for any inflammatory lesion of the eye.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.