Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

my wife reports cloudy vision and halos around lights in one

my wife reports cloudy vision and halos around lights in one eye as of this morning. she thought it was irritation from her contacts but it's still there now that she took them out.

Hello and welcome to

Please allow me to ask a few questions about her problem so I may get a better idea of what is happening to her.

Is there any significant pain in that eye?

Is that eye red?

Is there any sensitivity to light?

Has it improved at all since this morning?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Nope, no significant pain. Just a little irritated, but it could be because she was messing with her contact today because she thought that was the problem.

Red only a little.

No sensitivity to light.

No improvement since this morning.

When cloudy vision and halos around lights are the symptoms, this can be an acute angle closure glaucoma attack, but without significant pain, redness, and usually nausea/vomiting, this is unlikely.

Her symptoms are likely related to her contact lens use. This may be an infection/inflammation causing cloudiness in the cornea. The redness supports this as a possibility.

This could also be some swelling (edema) in the cornea related to the contact lens use (sometimes this gets better later in the day without the contacts in, but sometimes lasts several days). The lack of pain and sensitivity to light seem to support this as a possibility.

Whether this is corneal swelling or an inflammation/infection in the cornea, she should see an ophthalmologist as soon as she can. Infections related to contact lenses can be aggressive. This may be common sense, but she should stay out of the contact lenses until seen by the ophthalmologist.

Does that address your concern?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

DISCLAIMER: My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX how soon should we see an opthamologist? Is this urgent, or can we wait for the weekend to be over? This isn't an ER thing, is it?

If her symptoms are minor than you could consider waiting until Monday am, but in these situations, I always err on the side of caution, which would be to go to an ER to see an ophthalmologist unless she has an ophthalmologist already who can be reached on call.

The fact that this could be a corneal infection related to contact lens use means this may be a serious problem.

Hope that helps.