Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My right eye has had red around the area where I usually wear

Customer Question

My right eye has had red around the area where I usually wear my contacts. I was using prescription drops that my doctor gave me, and it went away. However, now it's back and the drops aren't helping. I haven't worn my contacts in a week, and it's still red. Suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Do you have any pain?
Any sensitivity to light?
Is it only in one eye?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No sensitivity to light, and it's not very painful. However, when I do put my contacts in, it gets very red around the inner corner of my eye. Only in one eye.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

The redness is likely due to engorged blood vessels, likely in response to irritation from the contact lenses. It is concerning that you still have this irritation even though you've been out of your contact lenses for 1 week. The biggest concern is a corneal infection related to contact lens use. This is usually associated with pain and light sensitivity. Another possibility could be that you have a poor fitting contact lens.

I'd recommend you see your eye doctor for evaluation and treatment. Continue to stay out of your contact lenses until then.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.