Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Thank you whoever answers my questions. In university I studied

Thank you whoever answers my questions. In university I studied microbiology incluing Mycology, Bacterioloty, and Virology, so I am aware of the danger of these microorganism... some years ago when I looked into the sky I saw ghost image of fungal mycelia in my eyes, and I went to the eye doctor and was told not to worry becasue everyone has some in his or body, the doctor said. However, recently I noticed more shaow (liquid floating image when I roll my eye) when am in the bright light area. Now I feel very stupid that I was too ignorant when I first noticed it. Please let me know what doctor I should go see now so that I can fight the fungi. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying. They can look like fibers or parasites, but they are not. Fungal infections of the eye are usually associated with eye pain, decreased vision or immunocompromised conditions.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is recommended you have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Edited by Dr. James on 6/5/2010 at 11:18 PM EST