Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I had detached retina surgery on 4/20/2010. I was given a visual

I had detached retina surgery on 4/20/2010. I was given a visual acuity test 1
day before the surgery and my visual acuity was pretty good, with my contact in.
I had a slowly increasing clouding of my vision but not other signs for months before
that. But then the cloudiness started accelerating and I had a thin black line at
the top of my vision. The doctors (2) that looked me over were both amazed I
could see as well as I could. Perhaps it was scar tissue. Then I had the surgery,
including the buckle, gas bubble, laser, cryo, the works. I had a doctor checkup
a few weeks after the surgery and his comment was "well, at least the retina
is still attached". 20% of the bubble was gone at that time and I was able to see
overtop the bubble. My visual acuity was almost 0. But I did not feel bad because
I thought the bubble was dominating. NOw, I am thinking I will be blind in one eye for life. I have a grey cloud over most of my field of vision.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Have you had cataract surgery in that eye?
Have you been checked for new glasses/contacts?
What does your retina specialist say about the vision potential in that eye?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have not had cataract surgery on either eye. Is it possible that the grey cloudiness

is due to cataracts? My next appointment with my current Eye Doctor is 6/17/2010.

He does not like to talk much with patients, but I'll try to get some info out of him.

Is it possible that the grey cloud can clear up given enough time? Or is what I have now

probably going to be all there is unless there is some more surgery? I had the

RD surgery on 4/20/2010. Can a grey cloud be evidence of a new detachment?

The sight has been basically NIL after the surgery, so it is hard to tell if there has

been a new detachment. Blind is Blind. The doctor said the retina was still attached

last time I saw hime, which was about 3 weeks ago. It is probably still attached.

The eye is actually healthy looking, moving well, not much blood left in it. Just does

not see very well at all, but looks OK.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Yes, cataracts are very common after retinal detachment surgery, especially if gas is used. The gray could can also be due to the damage to the retina during the time it was detached prior to the operation.

I'd recommend you ask your doctor specifically about the cataract and if the retina is still attached.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.