Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

problem with his left eye, been for NHS tests..blood..optic nerve

my 16yr old son has problem with his left eye, been for NHS tests, had the fluid injection test to photograph blood circulation etc.

They have been unable to give a clear diagnosis but they said there is calcium build up on the optic nerve. Now the only thing i have found on the internet related might be drusen.

He complains that his sight out of that eye is 'cloudy' like a thick grey mist, underneath focus is sharp

Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

When did his problems start?
Is it one eye or both eyes?
Has he had any other test other than the fluoroscein angiogram?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We think it may have started April 2009 (we remember it was Easter

He has complained that his right is not perfect, a small speck maybe in very bright light.

Blood test - results fine
General sight test for focus, peripheral vision etc, all ok again

Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

To clarify, examination has been normal except for the possibility of optic nerve head drusen?
Has he undergone formal visual field testing using an automated machine?
What specialists has he seen already?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The doctors have never mentioned drusen, that was me(his father) searching the internet for information on anything calcium related to the eye and optic nerve and wondered if it could be his condition.

they have only diagnosed calcium build up so far as i am aware and that all other tests have been normal and revealed nothing.

Yes he has done automated test.

He has seen no other specialists other than our NHS hospital doctors. I am willing to take him to one but again I am struggling to know who is good and who isn't and if it was Drusen then maybe it cant be treated anyway?

We live in Edinburgh, Scotland
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Optic nerve head drusen is a known condition. In the majority of cases, vision is not affected. If vision is affected, it will usually result in an enlarged blindspot or other visual field defects. These defects can be detected on automated visual fields. Often, optic nerve head drusen is an incidental finding and generally not the cause of visual complaints.

It would be helpful to get a second opinion. An ophthalmologist with subspeciality training in neuro-ophthalmology would be the most appropriate referral. It is difficult to say what would be causing the problems, especially with what appears to be a normal exam, but I would not expect the drusen to be the problem

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
and the or a calcium build up within the eye, can it be treated, broken down with medicine/diet/surgery?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

There is no treatment for optic nerve head drusen. The link below talks about a case of drusen.

Please remember to press ACCEPT.