Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

EUA or exam under anesthesia, is it the same anesthesia used

Very grateful for the reply. So this EUA or exam under anesthesia, is it the same anesthesia used for the operation? With artificial breathing and all?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

The exam under anesthesia is much quicker. It does require artificial breathing, but may be done with a mask instead of a breathing tube.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Many thanks again Dr. James,

I take it you would rather have the measurements done correctly. Is this correct? Two more questions: 1. Is it true that about 80% of children will wind up using the same IOL anyway, and that because they're eyes are still growing the measurements aren't as important anyway? Or will the better measurements definately make for a better prediction of eye growth and hence a more succeful prognostic.

2. The way it is currently scheduled there will be one day between the test under anesthesia and the day the operation is performed. Is it more risky to supply general anesthesia on almost two consecutive days.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the accept.

It is true that children's eyes are still growing. So the lens that is implanted has to anticipate this change. Regardless, it is still important to get an accurate measurements to determine the IOL power.

In terms of consecutive use of anesthesia, the increase of risk is minimal. There should be an anesthesiologist to monitor the situation. If your son has not fully recovered from the first session, then the second round of anesthesia can be delayed a few days.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon