Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

Whilst on holiday i developed a lump next to the iris of my

Whilst on holiday i developed a lump next to the iris of my eye. It was very bloodshot arond the lump but not painful. My GP advised me to use a lubricant which appears to make no difference. It Has been like it for 12days and i have seen no improvement.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you have subconjunctival blood around a blood clot close to the iris. This usually resolves slowly over 2-3 weeks, but helped by frequent use of preservative free tear drop such as Refresh tear drop 4-6 times daily, and may use the gel at bedtime. If this persists after 1 week from now, worsen or you experience any eye pain or decrease vision at any time, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation. So, I suggest that you consider making appointment ahead of time, with the option of canceling if it improves significantly with frequent use of tear drop.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could it be a cyst as it has a jelly like appearence?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

The irritation from the blood around the blood can induce a conjunctiva cyst. This would usually resolve with the clearance of the blood, and frequent use of tear drop initially would have prevented such cyst formation, but it would go away. If not resolved, then your eye doctor would easily drain it with needle puncture under the Slit-lamp in the office.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon