Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

ex-boxer who has lost all peripheral vision in both eyes

Customer Question

Is there a treatment available for an ex-boxer who has lost all peripheral vision in both eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

What is the reason for the loss of peripheral vision?
Are you using any eye drops?
When was your last eye exam?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
reason for loss of peripheral vision is blows received while boxing. Individual in question has had two detached retina surgeries (one on each eye). Currently no medication, including eye drops is being used. The last eye exam he had was over five years ago due to no health insurance enforce.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Loss of peripheral vision from retinal detachment is common. Unfortunately, there is no treatment available to regain that peripheral vision except to ensure that the retina is still attached. He is at risk for re-detachment and scarring from the prior surgeries, therefor, yearly examinations are recommended.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the green accept button so that I receive credit for my time.