Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

there are moving dots and string like thingsinmy eye. cant

there are moving dots and string like thingsinmy eye. can't feel them just see them when I bat my eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank for your question:

This is generally caused by the melting of some of the clear gel inside the eye (Vitreous) with some vitreous detachment from the back of the eye. This could also be caused by old small bleed in the eye. Usually this is not harmful, but monitored routinely. However, if it significantly affects your vision or your daily function, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor to evaluation the extent and cause of the floater so that the retinal eye doctor can consider surgically removing the melted vitreous or the cause of the floater. In general, this is common with the aging of the clear gel inside the eye. If these floaters is not significantly affecting your vision, I suggest that you monitor it closely, as it is likely due to the normal aging vitreous in the eye. However, at any time it gets worse or associated with additional symptoms such as eye pain, flashing light or increased amount or frequency of the floaters, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation. In the meantime, I also suggest that you regularly use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 2-4 times daily as need for eye comfort and better focusing.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do see flashing light.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

Then I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor to exclude any other retina involvement. While this is not harmful, and still likely part of the vitreous detachment, it is important for precaution to evaluate closely.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon