Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my glasses doctor told me to have a retina expert look at my eyes

for a couple years now i have experienced white flashes of light in both eyes now and then. my 'glasses' doctor told me to have a retina expert look at my eyes, but have not gotten around to it. however, yesterday morning i had a whole new experience. i saw a 1/2 C in extremely bright colored triangles that lasted for about 1 hour; whether my eyes were open or closed. it went away when i bent over to dry my hair. please explain what may have caused this and what it means may be happening.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

This is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment in which the thick gel at the middle of the eye ( vitreous ) gets detached from its surrounding .Usually it is due to aging and as such is a harmless condition and does not require any treatment . Rarely in the event of it causing traction on the retina, may result in retinal tears which occasionally progress to a retinal detachment. This is characterised by a sudden decrease in vision or rather like a curtain falling in the line of vision, and should be reported to an ophthalmologist immediately.

As of now you do not have any visual complaint , so very unlikely that you have any problem in the retina. You need to report to an ophthalmologist only in case you have acute visual complaints explained above.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.