Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

OPTIC NERVE SWELLING AND LOSS OF VISION IN ONE EYE PRIMARILY...WENT

OPTIC NERVE SWELLING AND LOSS OF VISION IN ONE EYE PRIMARILY...WENT FOR MRI NOTHING NOTED. WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS?
Category: Eye
Expert:  tharun replied 6 years ago.

Was the swelling of the optic nerve noticed on the MRI?

Any other diseases?

Have you shown it to a doctor?

Any history of Multiple sclerosis in family?

Any other infections in the past?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I went from an eye doctor to a recomended Optomologist. He wasn't sure why my nerve was swelling but my eye looked ok. He is going to recheck my vission field test. I went to my own doctor for the concern because of an aunt having cranilphyeringanoma..(sorry for the spelling). Just to make sure. He sent me for an mri but nothing was noted at all about the nerve. I have pressure behind the eye and movement. I am loosing my vision and perifierial very much so. I am concerned about why this is happening or if it is just stress related. No ms in the family that I am aware of. No infections I am aware of either

thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for your inquiry at JustAnswer.com.

I am an ophthalmologist and would like to ask you a few follow-up questions to better be able to assist you with your concerns.

Is the swelling only in one eye?

Do you have any other symptoms such as weakness/numbness in any limb or face, difficulty holding your bowels or bladder?

Do your symptoms get worse when you get hot (such as a hot shower or when you exercise)?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hI and thank you. Yes as a matter of fact the back of my upper thigh has been tingly and also I have been a little fatigued more then normal lately. I suppose when I am active my eye tends to throb more and my eye socket feels pressure. The swelling was on the right eye and most of the discomfort comes from that side of the head

This sounds like it may be what's called optic neuritis. This can be a precursor to multiple sclerosis. An MRI is an appropriate test in this case and if they didn't find any lesions on the brain that is fortunate.

A lab workup may be warranted, however, if this does not seem like optic neuritis to your ophthalmologist. Alternatively, you may consider a second opinion from another ophthalmologist or neurologist if there doesn't seem to be any consensus.

Optic neuritis responds well to IV steroids for quicker resolution, but the majority of people regain good, useful vision regardless (it just takes longer without steroids).

Does that address your concern?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

DISCLAIMER: My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology