Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I just had a blood blister form underneath my left eye, what

I just had a blood blister form underneath my left eye, what should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Is it on the whites of your eyes?
Any pain?
Any decrease in vision?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No it is a red blood blister underneath my eye I woke up this morning and there it was. I also have some cold sores that popped up on my lips this week. I have been under quite a bit of stress with job and I also just moved last weekend.
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 7 years ago.

Hello. I have read your notes with Dr. James and since he's unavailable right now, may I ask you a few follow-up questions to better understand the problem?

Is this blood blister on the eyelid (ie on the skin), on the inside of the eyelid (can only see when pulling the eyelid down), or is it on the white part of the eye?

Have you been coughing, sneezing, or otherwise straining previous to this onset?

Do you take aspirin, motrin, ibuprofen or other blood thinners?

Has there been any pain or decreased vision associated with this?

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is right underneath my eyes on the skin. It is not sore and is looks like a standard blood blister.

No real coughing or sneezing but I do have a cold and some cold sores.

I do take ibuprofen

No pain or decrease in vision

If it is just a blood "blister", a localized cyst-like spot full of blood, and not a bruise, then there is nothing you need to do about it at this point. Cool compresses can help limit additional bleeding. If this is a bruise (looks like you got hit), then you should see an ophthalmologist to determine if there is anything around the eye causing the bruising.

If this persists or you have multiple occurrences of this, or if you start to have eye pain or decreased vision, then you should consult your ophthalmologist about it.

Does that address your concern?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

DISCLAIMER: My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.