Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

About a week ago I woke up and everything was fine. Then all

About a week ago I woke up and everything was fine. Then all of a sudden it felt like I got something in my eye so I washed it out as best as I could. It remained irritated and sensitive to light. I noticed a small blister or cloudy like spot on the edge of my iris. I figured maybe something got in my eye and caused this because of the suddeness of my symptoms. Well here I am a week later and the spot is still on my eye and it remains irritated and tears all of the time. In your opinion, what do you think it is?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com and thanks for your question.

Please allow me to ask a few questions so I can better understand the problem.

Do you wear contact lenses? If so, do you sleep in them?

Has the eye been particularly red?

Do you have itching or any achy pain in that eye?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not wear contact lenses.

My eye is read but localized around the edge of my iris.

It does not itch nor is there an achy pain. It's more of an irritation similar to dry or tired eyes.

This could be one of a few different things. This could be a conjunctival cyst, or a collection of fluid underneath the clear, transparent skin over the white of the eye. If this is the case, then it may take some time to resolve and lubrication (artificial tears and lubricating ophthalmic ointment) should help the symptoms.

This also may be an inflammed pingueculum, which is an aggregate or condensing of the conjunctiva next to the colored part of the eye. Occasionally these can become inflamed and require prescription drops to help overcome the inflammation.

This also could be a more significant inflammation of the episclera or sclera called scleritis.

Because so much of the decision-making process in the diagnosis of this kind of problem lies in the exam, it is difficult for me to know exactly which one of these things it is based on history alone.

Therefore, I would recommend, especially since this has been going on for awhile, to see an ophthalmologist for a definitive diagnosis. I suspect, however, that you may require prescription drops for resolution of the problem.

Does this address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions you have until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

Disclaimer: My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.