Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

my brother has a macula hole in his right

my brother has a macular hole in his right eye 23 years old ,his doctor told him tat if its a stage 3 bigger hole it cant be this true?what are the problems he will encounter if he doesnt get it treated?is there a chance for complete vision loss in the future due to retinal detachment?worried dr smitha varkey
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.
Hello Dr. Smitha Varkay,

Welcome to Just Answer

A stage 3 macular hole is fully developed macular hole , with a surrounding retinal detachment. The macular hole per se cannot be treated or closed but a vitrectomy is advised so that it does not lead to a total retinal detachment. The macular hole does not cause a total visual loss ( absence of light perception) but central vision is lost and eccentric vision may be retained . If left untreated the eye is at risk of total RD and hence vitrectomy is advised inspite of its own complications( cataract ). You can consult a vitreo-retinal surgeon for further management.

Thank you for the reply

It is more likely to be a mild ptosis ( drooping of the upperlid). In this age it can more due to involutional ptosis ( age related degeneration of the levator aponeurosis) . It can be confirmed by a detailed examination of the eye by an ophthalmologist. I suggest you meet your ophthalmologist for the needful.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.