Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

i have uvinities in my left eye and my pupil is not round what

i have uvinities in my left eye and my pupil is not round what can i do to help get my pupil round. was told that i must get a mydricaine injection in my eye. help what else can i do ?

Welcome to Just Answer

The cause for an irregular pupil in uveitis is invariably due to posterior synechiae ( the back surface of the iris gets stuck to the lens at some points which prevent the pupil from dilating). The usual drugs to break these synechiae are mydriatics which have already been started in your case . Atropine is the longest acting mydriatic and if that has been unable to break the synechiae then the last medicine is a sub-conjunctival injection of mydricaine ( contains mixture of atropine , adrenaline and lignocaine). The steroids can help bring down the inflammatory signs and need to be continued till inflammation subsides. It is better to go ahead with the mydricaine injection.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you is that the only option that i have ? as i hate needles

Thank you for the reply

Yes , in the given situation it is the best possible option available. Any person will be apprehensive of an injection in the eye, but we do take the necessary care and anaesthetic eye drops are put initially to numb the eye to make the procedure as least painful as possible.

Thanks and best wishes

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my only option?
Yes , there is nothing more in literature mentioned beyond mydricaine injection for treatment of posterior synechiae in uveitis.

Best wishes