Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Hello, I have been diagnosed with a viral eye infection. I

Customer Question

Hello, I have been diagnosed with a viral eye infection. I recenlty had the flu and then sinisitis, so i am cutrrently on a course of Doxycycline. It is best to contnue with antibiotics incase sinisitus comes back, or move to some natural immune boosting help instead? I have had a red, swollen, hot, wattery, messy pickly, painfull eye for 2 weeks. How much longer do you think it will last??
Thank you, Andrea
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

The usual course of viral eye infection ( viral keratoconjunctivitis ) is 3 weeks and it disappears on its own by 3 weeks. The anti-bacterial drops are invariably to prevent superadded bacterial infection. You can wait for another week for it to subside. After that you can add Refresh tears eye drops for lubrication , 1 drop 4 times a day. Very rarely there can be stromal involvement( deeper layer of cornea) and these tend to stay for few more weeks . For this you can follow up with your ophthalmologist , after 4 weeks ,for further treatment ( mild steroid for stromal opacities if need be not otherwise).

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.