Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My 17 year old son just had some battery acid spray into his

My 17 year old son just had some battery acid spray into his eyes. He had contacts in. He took them out quickly and we had him get in the shower for 15-20 minutes and let the water flush his eyes. He is still in the shower. What else should we do? He seems to be alright and says they sting a little.
[email protected]
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It was important that he irrigated his eyes thoroughly with clean shower water. Next, I suggest that he use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop every 2 hours while awake for 24 hours, then 4 times daily for 7-10 days. I suggest that he keep his contact off for at least 7 days, especially if his eyes are irritated. He should consider a follow-up visit with his eye doctor for a closer evaluation of the cornea, especially if not complete resolved to exclude any cornea defect.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.