Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

vision in my right eye is becoming cloudier..eye doctor..detachment

Customer Question

Over the past 5 days the vision in my right eye is becoming cloudier. It is like I am looking through dirty eyeglasses. Went to my local eye doctor who is suspecting post vitreous detachment. However, I have no floaters, spots, etc. The soonest I can get into an area opthamologist is Tues. June 8. I am scared that I will lose my sight or maybe already have a retinal tear caused by vitreous detachment. Any ideas as to diagnosis and treatment. Linda Clasen, Humboldt,Iowa
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for your question. Please allow me to ask a few questions myself so I can better address your concerns.

Has there been any pain associated with this cloudy vision?

How much worse is the vision in the right eye now than it used to be (ie is it 50% of what it was 5 days ago)?

Has there been any flashing lights associated with this cloudiness?

Is this cloudiness restricted to just one particular part of your visual field in the right eye, or does it occupy the entire right eye visual field?

Lastly, what kind of medical problems do you have (for example, diabetes, high blood pressure, lupus)?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There has been no pain.

My vision is 50 to 75% worse since the day it started.

No flashing lights noted.

The cloudiness started in the upper right corner then spread downward like a veil.

I have osteoarthitis in numerous joints, wear hearing aids, have rosecea, mytral valve prolapse, hyperlipidemia, very near sighted but now wear bifocals.

Please try to quantify the vision that you have left in the right eye.

Can you read the ticker tape on the bottom of the TV from your couch? Can you read street signs with that eye?

Are people's faces even blurry? If it is bad, can you count someone's fingers, only see hand movements, or just light?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Approximately 60% vision in my right eye.

No I cannot read the tickertape or street signs with this right eye.

Faces are blurry, can see fingers but they are blurry, too.

It feels like looking through a cloudy/dirty eyeglass lens.

Did this cloudiness develop suddenly or relatively quickly, or did this come on gradually?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This cloudiness came on suddenly on Sunday and has steadily gotten worse in just 5 days.

Any ideas what it really is. I am getting impatient, tired and need to go to bed!

I apologize for the questions, but the information you have given me is critical.

I believe you may be having a retinal detachment or a stroke in the optic nerve. I think you should not wait for Tuesday, but should go to your local ER to be seen by an ophthalmologist.