Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Is VKH disease and Haradas disease the same disease. If yes

Is VKH disease and Harada's disease the same disease. If yes what is the differences.

Welcome to Just Answer:

VKH and Harada disease is a spectrum of the same disease, with VKH been the more severe, but more rare form of the disease. Patients with complete VKH disease tend to have neurologic and hearing problems before the eye finding. The associated findings with VKH include headaches with brain covering irritation, tinnitus (ringing in the ear), alopecia (hair loss), poliosis (white eyelashes), and vitiligo (skin depigmentatin). Harada diseases is often short lived, and less severe than VKH. Harada disease is not usually associated with alopecia, vitiligo neurological and hearing problem. Harada tend to follow a generalized illness or ocular inflammation. Following treatment with steroid Harada disease tend to resolve mostly within one year. It is likely that you have Harada disease.

Prednisone: 1-1.5 mg/kg/d PO qd initially (for about 1 week); the taper by reducing the dose by 5 mg each week, but generally the taper must be individualized for each patient but in general should not be less than 3 mo to avoid recurrence. I suggest that you taper more slowly as indicated above.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.