Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have been diagnosed with 3 retinal hemorrhages in my left

I have been diagnosed with 3 retinal hemorrhages in my left eye and one in my right eye.

My Retinal Specialist has now ordered blood tests for me to rule out HIV, Leukemia, Diabetes and hypertension...he also explained it could be caused by a cough or a blow to the head.

I am quite anal about my health and get full physicals every year. MY last physical and full blood work up was on October 20th, 2009 whereby everything looked perfect.

My physicial says the chances of a major illness as the cause of this is close to nil.

Your thoughts?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

I see that you ask this question yesterday. Did you intend to ask this duplicate question?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. I am awaiting a blood test result and I am simply "beside myself"
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

I have read over your last question with Dr. Desai. I agree with what she has said. Retinal hemorrhages can be caused by number of things. Severe coughing can do it.

High blood pressure and diabetes are other common causes for retinal bleeding. Leukemia and HIV are rarer causes. I believe your doctor has done those tests to be complete since you had a normal physical recently.

The chances of leukemia and HIV are low with only retinal hemorrhages and no other symptoms. The coughing is the most likely explanation for the retinal hemorrhages, but the other blood test helps your doctor be sure.

Again, the chances for the other causes are low.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.