Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Im losing vision in one eye with no other symptoms. I have

I'm losing vision in one eye with no other symptoms. I have a Corneal scar, which i've had for years, but my vision has deteriorated in that eye over the last few weeks. Can a scar suddenly make my vision unstable? (irregular astigmatism that changes noticabely over 2 weeks?)

Welcome to Just Answer

How did the corneal scar occur- due to any eye injury/ following an eye infection?

In these few weeks have you experienced any eye pain/ redness?

Have you got your blood sugar tested in recent times?

Have you had an eye exam anytime?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No injury to the eye. I'm assuming it's from Rubella which I had as an adult (in my 20's).

No recent eye pain/redness. No diabetic issues (checked at annual physical) I also have annual eye exams and I am in the process of getting this diagnosed now; but I want to make sure I'm asking the right questions. They are leaning on the scar causing the issue but it's been there with no effect for so long.

Rubella in your 20s is unlikely to have caused an eye lesion as it is more often seen in congenital syndrome( characterised by cataract , glaucoma, retinopathy ) . The corneal scar could have been due to co-existing infection of the cornea ( could be bacterial or viral ) . You are right that a corneal scar causes irregular astigmatism but then it is more gradual and is not so obvious as in few weeks. It would not be correct to attribute a recent decrease in vision to an old corneal scar. The eye will have to be examined in detail for other causes of reduced visual acuity related to anterior segment ( uveitis / glaucoma ), posterior segment ( retina / optic nerve related ) . Further course of action for corneal scar depends on its location on the cornea( from which clock hour to which clock hour eg 4o'clock to 8o'clock) , its depth ( whether superficial or deep ) , central or peripheral in location. If any signs of inflammation are found , it is treated with steroid eye drops . If no inflammatory signs are seen , then only corneal scar can be treated with either partial thickness keratoplasty for superficial scars or full thickness graft for deep scars. If the scar is very faint ( nebular grade ) , steroids are tried for a few months to see whether the scar heals. PTK( phototherapeutic keratectomy) laser has been done for corneal scars too .

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.