Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I am supposed have eye surgery next month and this infection

Customer Question

I am supposed have eye surgery next month and this infection MUST be totally gone. How can I be sure it's cleared up completely? Lorene Favrow
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.
dear customer,

do you have any fever, red eye, sticking eyelids?
what are the drugs you are taking?
did you consult a doctor yet?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No fever, red eyes,or sticking eyelids!! Just taking the Keflex, and using Triple Antibiotic Cream on the area. Yes
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.
Hello Lorene Favrow,

Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm not clear about where the infection is ? Because oral antibiotics like Keflex are not given for eye infection. Can you specify for what infection you have been on Keflex.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Excuse me for the mix-up. The eye surgery is a seperate issue. There is no infection there....but I am afraid of getting an infection in my eyes if I go ahead with the scheduled surgery before my cellulitis is completely gone. Thanks

I hope I've understood rightly that you have cellulitis elsewhere in the body and you do not want that infection to spread to the eye ( as you are scheduled for eye surgery next month).

If you have been on Cap. Keflex 750 mg , twice a day for 5-7 days then it takes care of any infection of soft tissue, as it is a broad spectrum antibiotic. The only way to know that the infection has subsided is by reduction in symptoms , reduction in pain ,swelling . The infection if still there , gives rise to worsening of symptoms or no improvement. In such a case ,change of antibiotic is needed. But such a situation may not arise as Keflex is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Most of these will settle down within a month.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.